Oct 18, 2010

The Van

I have the opportunity to work on a bus route that picks up children from a neighboring town and brings them in to church on Sunday mornings. I have been a part of this ministry for 9 years now; and it is such a blessing, something I truly enjoy doing. For the last two years, I have had the job of riding in the shuttle car and bringing children to the bus, since our route is pretty wide spread. I always thought that shuttle drivers had the easy job, not having to be on the bus as much, but I have since learned differently. I actually get to spend more time, one on one with children before taking them to the bus!

Up until 3 1/2 months ago, my "shuttle partner" was Liz (she got married, moved to CA, and left me...;).

{us on our last shuttle run together} :)

We have so many memories from those Sunday mornings, driving in her parent's green mini van. One of our favorite children, would definitely be this little man; Jordan. We had so many intent conversations with him; he is such a thinker...
Since Liz moved away, the green van has died and been replaced with a new white one. Yesterday morning I pulled up to Jordan's house and he bounded out to the van. He sat down and was silent for awhile then said,

Boy, this van sure brings back alot of good memories for me...

Oh, really (I chuckled), like what?

Well, you know of you and Miss Liz picking me up together and all the fun we had...
Whatever happened to that green van; I miss it...

I explained that it had run its last course and had to be replaced.

Oh, he said sadly, then brightened up a little... You know what? I think that they should have a parking lot at church with all the old shuttle cars-like the green van-that way we could go sit up in it... You know, like when we are lonely and miss Miss Liz and want to think back to good times...Don't you think that would be a good idea?

Agreed...

Boy, I sure miss that green van {and its shuttle driver}! Love that kid...

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I miss those days SO much!! Our friendship grew so strong during those hours in that van every week!! About Jordan...I miss him and those deep conversations and helping him with his little "trials" at school and at home that he would tell us about!! Jordan is one of those kids that touches every life he comes in contact with! It would be so amazing to see him serve God some day!
    Keep missing me girl! I sure miss you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...