Sep 11, 2010

A Tribute

As long as I shall live, I hope I never forget this day, nine years ago. We were getting ready for school listening to WLS, when the program was interrupted to announce that a passenger plane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers. I was 14 years old and unsure what this meant, the broadcasters speculated suicide bombers, hijackings, or accident.


Fifteen minutes later we listened in shock to hear that another plane had crashed into the second Tower.


I remember going to band, the first class of my day, and listening to all my fellow classmates' speculations. By the time band was over, the third plane had crashed into the Pentagon and one of the towers had collapsed. I remember thinking that today history was being made.


English class came next and our Principle came down and announced that we would not be having our morning classes. We were ushered into the library where we watched in horror the events unfolding on the television.

I will never ever forget watching the billowing smoke that seemed to cover New York City, watching the dozens of people that rather than burn to death, jumped from the towers. Tears were streaming down our faces. I didn't knew who these victims were, but I knew they were people like me...fellow Americans...a Father, a Mother, sons and daughters.


That night I heard our Commander in Chief address the nation:

Good evening. Today, our fellow citizens, our way of life, our very freedom came under attack in a series of deliberate and deadly terrorist acts. The victims were in airplanes , or in their offices; secretaries, businessmen and women, military and federal workers; moms and dads, friends and neighbors. Thousands of lives were suddenly ended by evil, despicable acts of terror.

The pictures of airplanes
flying into buildings, fires burning, huge structures collapsing, have filled us with disbelief, terrible sadness, and a quiet, unyielding anger. These acts of mass murder were intended to frighten our nation into chaos and retreat. But they have failed; our country is strong.

A great people has been moved to defend a great nation. Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve.

America was targeted for attack because we're the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. And no one will keep that light from shining.

Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature. And we responded with the best of America --


I will never forget how I observed all the flags being put up at busnisses and homes. I watched as billboards and advertisements were replaced with: We will NEVER forget and God bless America. I remember our Preacher saying that now more than ever Americans were searching and looking UP.


I remember a talk show host commenting that Americans should be forced to watch news images from that day, so that we would never forget. It has been nine years and I agree with that statement more than ever...


So today, the anniversary of that fateful day where 2,996 Americans lost their lives, I hope you will take a moment to pause with me and remember that the only thing necessary for evil to prevail; is that good men do nothing. God have mercy on America...

[watch this patriot tribute...Blood of Heroes]

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...