May 5, 2009

Book Review

Well, I finally did it...finished a book I have been reading for well over a month. It is titled Let Me Be A Woman, written by Elisabeth Elliot. It was excellent reading and was written to the author's daughter right after she was engaged. Although the book was published well over a decade ago the issues of the day are still the same. Elisabeth Elliot provided so many valuable truths for women, whether they are single or married. She explains that in order to learn what it means to be a woman we must first start with the One who made her. In our culture today, no longer is there a distinction between men and women, instead women demand equality and want to be part of a 50-50 marriage relationship. However, as Christians we must realize that this philosophy is not Biblical at all. I highly encourage this book to all Christian women who wish to be challenged. Here are a few things I came away after reading Let Me Be A Woman:
  • Take one day at a time...God only lights our paths one day at a time, he gives us strength daily. The life of faith is lived one day at a time, so trust God and enjoy his gift of each day.
  • God has called me to be a woman, so I will gladly fulfill my role as one. "The woman who defines her role as doing what she wants, or not doing what she doesn't want, is in the first place, evading responsibility. Evasion of responsibility is the mark of immaturity.
  • Just as we as women are not perfect, we cannot expect to ever find a perfect man.
  • Marriage is a union. It takes two to make it work.
  • Don't let the world around you squeeze you into their mold, but let God remold you from within.
  • Be proud that I am a woman. "We are called to be women. The fact that I am a woman does not make me a different kind of Christian, but the fact that I am a Christian does make me a different kind of woman. For I have accepted God's idea of me, and my whole life is an offering back to Him of all that I am and all that He wants me to be."

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely going to check this out!! I'm ready "The fruit of her hands" by Nancy Wilson right now which is a great book with the same angle. It is focused on respecting and submitting to your husband.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...