Feb 10, 2010

True Happiness

What makes you happy???

What makes me happy???

Green lights all the way to work.
New shoes.
Talking with my mom.
Eating pie.
Going on a shopping spree.
Bubble baths.
Reading a good book.
A new purse.
A raise at work.
Being complimented for a job well done.
Kids behaving at work.

Is there anything wrong with my list... I would say no.
Yet, do all those things bring me true happiness?
They may make me happy for a few hours, or maybe even a whole day; but, not one of them provide me with true happiness.

I have been reading through the book of Psalms for my devotions and recently came across this verse in chapter 16, verse 11:

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are
pleasures for evermore.

We live in a very unhappy world; a very materialistic world. A world that when they are unhappy with their spouse they get a new one. If they are tired of their home they look for a bigger and better one. A world that complains about the economy, complains about their boss, complains about their children, complains about their parents, complains about the weather, complains about their appearance... We live in a world that will go to all measures to be happy for one moment. Whether it be drugs, alcohol, another individual, they will do all they can to attain happiness.

Sometimes I find myself guilty of being the same way. Of only being happy when my life is a bed of roses. Complaining about things that God has put in. This verse reminded me that I as a Christian should not be living this way. I have true happiness in Jesus Christ... fullness of joy from his presence and pleasure for evermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...